8 reasons why you should drink tea everyday
Tea is officially wonderful for your health, it’s a superfood bursting with goodness. There are many different types of tea, and whilst we love a most enjoyable cup of herbal, the benefits we are talking about are from the caffeinated kind (black, white, green, oolong). Here are 8 reasons why tea is good for you:
- Tea hydrates you. Contrary to popular belief, tea is just as good as water at keeping you hydrated.
- Tea is full of antioxidants. So full in fact, that one cup of tea can contain up to five times more antioxidants than any fruit or vegetable. Catechins, a type of disease fighting flavonoid, are key to tea’s health benefits that help your body ward off illness and may help prevent cancer.
- Tea is good for your heart. There is strong evidence that shows when you drink around four cups a day, the active plant compound in tea (polyphenols) reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Tea protects your teeth. The compounds (flavonoids) that give tea its rich colour also have potent anti-microbial effects, combatting two types of bacteria linked to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Tea boosts your immune system. Tea can help the body’s defenses against infection, a study found that the immune systems blood cells from tea drinkers respond five times faster to bacteria than coffee drinkers.
- Tea is good for your bones. People who regularly drink tea have a higher bone density than non-tea drinkers. Research indicates that the flavonoids in tea may protect against bone loss.
- Tea can help you lose weight. It is calorie free (without the sugar, milk, biscuits) and can actually enhance your workout efforts. Green tea is a proven metabolism booster, activating fat-burning genes and burning up to 80 additional calories by drinking 5 cups a day. It also increases exercise endurance and helps burn fat as fuel.
- Tea is good for your brain. Research has found that after drinking tea, our memory improves. We have faster reaction times and we have a better ability to concentrate. Drinking black tea also helps reduce the level of stress hormones and lowers systolic blood pressure.